The Montana State AFL-CIO is looking to hire one part-time communications intern. This is an entry-level communications position and a successful applicant will work closely with the Communications Director and communications team to develop internal and external communications strategies to advocate for the working people of Montana.
The Montana State AFL-CIO is a democratic, voluntary federation of 38 unions, 500 locals, and 50,000 workers throughout the state of Montana. We are teachers, construction workers, grocery clerks, refinery workers, firefighters, roofers, nurses, journalists, plumbers, hard rock miners, sheet metal workers, theatre and stage engineers and more. We strive to ensure all working people are treated fairly, with decent paychecks and benefits, safe jobs, dignity, and equal opportunities. We work to ensure that everyone who works for a living has family-supporting wages and benefits and the ability to retire with dignity.
REPORTING TO: James Burrows, Communications Director
LOCATION: Montana (Helena is ideal but can work remotely)
DATES: The Communications Intern will run for 14-weeks. The intern will commit to 20 hours a week to working on communications programs for Montana State AFL-CIO and additional 5 hour on skill building with Montana Votes, including hands-on trainings, readings, peer learning, and other programming.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to James Burrows, Communications Director, at email@example.com. Applications are due by 5 p.m. (MST) on February 18, 2021.
● Assisting the Communications Director in ongoing development of organizational communications structure, including working closely with affiliated unions, leaders, and members
● Drafting, editing, and publishing content
● Maintenance of union coordinator databases
● Digital content development and promotion, including graphic design, social media content, photography, videography, and SEO
● Monitoring of incoming communications and requests
● Assisting in website maintenance
● Working with media vendors, including paid media, mail, and digital placements
This is an entry-level position that pays $15 per/hour. Applicants should have a desire to learn about union organizing, an interest in communications strategy, a passionate belief in advancing the voice of working Montanans, and have strong written and verbal communication skills.