The Montana AFL-CIO is a federation of 38 unions and 500 locals collectively representing over 50,000 working Montanans. Our membership includes workers in public and private sector jobs, from teachers and state employees, to nurses and construction workers. We are proud to be the largest and most diverse organization that is working to achieve economic justice for working people and their families, regardless of whether they enjoy the benefits of a collective bargaining agreement.
The 2022 Election will be a critical moment for the Montana labor movement and for working people across the state. The Montana AFL-CIO will be focusing on electing pro-worker candidates up and down the ballot to ensure working people have a seat at the decision-making table. We are looking to bring on a motivated and talented candidate who will oversee our campaign’s field strategy, including developing a comprehensive field plan, outlining clear goals and benchmarks to win, hiring and overseeing a team of talented staff, and motivating and energizing union members, leaders and volunteers to achieve victory on Election Day.
● Campaign Planning - The Field Director will work with the Executive Secretary and Political Director to construct and implement plans for field operations, including budgets, work plans, target benchmarks and timelines. These plans will require maximizing the potential and output of both paid staff and volunteer efforts to achieve goals. The planning process will include comprehensive strategies to engage both union members and their households as well as the general public in electoral campaigns.
● Staff Hiring and Management - The Field Director will be responsible, in coordination with the Political Director, for hiring, training and managing field canvassers who will be located in various communities across the state. The Field Director will be the primary supervisor for canvass leads in communities, and will be responsible for overseeing work plans, establishing accountability systems in the field to ensure goals are met, and working to streamline resources to support field organizers and avoid duplicative campaign work. The Field Director will also be responsible for providing opportunities for affiliate, state and local federation staff to engage in electoral campaigns, including providing training, distributing information on volunteer opportunities, and communicating coverage gaps to be filled by release staff.
● Goal Tracking + Data Management - The Field Director will manage overall field operations, including tracking progress to goal and providing regular and ad hoc reports as required. The Field Director will be primarily responsible for overseeing appropriate data collection and hygiene and ensuring staff is appropriately trained on these measures. The Field Director will maintain regular communication with senior staff at the MT AFL-CIO to ensure field information is able to shape overall campaign strategy as appropriate.
Required Qualifications + Experience
● Experience with voter databases and voter contact programs.
● Experience with electoral campaigns, including candidate or issue campaigns.
● Demonstrated ability to connect with people at all levels
● Must be self-motivated while also functioning well as part of a larger team.
● Some supervisory experience.
● Excellent attention to detail and commitment to seeing a project through to completion.
● Ability to work long and irregular hours and means to travel
Nice to Have Qualifications + Experience
● Administrative experience with voter databases, including defining voter contact targets, planning field outreach programs, and ensuring data hygiene.
● Advanced field experience, including training volunteers or staff on best practices on field campaigns.
● Experience hiring and directly managing a team, preferably during an electoral campaign.
● Experience tracking staff time and working with financial officers on payroll.
Compensation + Job Details
● $27-$32/hr DOE
● Remote work in Montana (ideally Helena)
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Amanda Frickle, MT AFL-CIO Political Director, at email@example.com. To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be: Field Director. Applicants will be accepted until the position is filled, however, preference will be given to resumes received by June 15th. No calls please.
The MT AFL-CIO is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characterIstic as established under law.